AFHny is happy to announce that on Tuesday, February 2nd, 2016 at 7:00PM, we will be hosting a two-hour design charrette at Gensler's NYC office for the design of public shower facilities for the homeless. Our goal is to restore a sense of dignity to individuals who are unsheltered by providing services that would improve personal hygiene, promote self-sufficiency and ultimately empower them to seek employment and/or assistance.
A few facts about homelessness in New York City:
- Homelessness in New York City has reached the highest levels since the Great Depression of the 1930's.
- In November of 2015, there were 59,929 homeless people sleeping each night in the NYC municipal shelter system.
- Each night there are thousands of unsheltered homeless people sleeping on the streets, the subway system and other pubic spaces. Nearly 60% of the unsheltered homeless population is in Manhattan.
*Data provided by CoalitionfortheHomeless.Org
AFHny partners with individuals who operate on a volunteer basis, in an effort to offer design solutions to our local communities. AfHny will host a Design Charrette to generate design concepts for public shower facilities with the hopes of partnering with other non-profit organizations and municipal agencies in order to make it a reality.
Specifications and an existing design will be shared once you have signed up using Eventbrite.
DETAILS ABOUT THE EVENT
Date: Tuesday, 2/2/2016
Time: 7:00 - 7:15PM - Snacks and beverages will be provided
7:15 - 9:00PM - The Design Charrette
1230 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020
This will be an energized design charrette where public shower facilities will be explored that offer accessibility for the homeless population of the city. Afterwards, we will have a sign-up sheet for attendees to continue their involvement on the project.
Dear AFHny Volunteers: We look forward to seeing everyone on 2/2, Tuesday evening for the Design Charrette and have a few items to cover in advance. In order to have a productive evening, we ask that all attendees review below.
- As a guest, you are asked to observe guest etiquette while in this space. We ask that you stay within the designated areas of the Charrette.
- Your donation for this Charrette helps us cover the cost of materials.
- Please bring any supplies [pencils, pens, markers, paper, etc.] that you need to do your best work.
- Please note that due to limited available seating, if you RSVP we are expecting you to attend. If for any reason you are unable to attend please notify us within 24 hours of the event so we can open your spot to another interested participant.