OACny is looking for five (5) volunteers with design and construction experience to work on a project in collaboration with Concrete Safaris. Concrete Safaris is our partner organization that promotes physical activity and leadership in children living in East Harlem. Each year, they have a neighborhood wellness fair and obstacle race called Jungle Gym. This year, Concrete Safaris will be including more challenging obstacles by transforming playground structures into movable and easy to assemble obstacles.
The OACny volunteer team will design five (5) obstacles, which will be constructed with YouthBuild in East Harlem.
The deliverables will include:
- A conceptual illustrative drawing package and preliminary budget for fundraising purposes.
- A construction drawing package that will serve as instruction guidelines for YouthBuild.
The effort will result in two (2) build days in May, where YouthBuild teams will compete for the best constructed obstacles, and five (5) Jungle Gym Races in July and August of 2018.
We are seeking volunteers with excellent graphic skills and extensive knowledge in construction techniques and drawings. The volunteers will work under the guidance of OACny Project Coordinator to produce above deliverables.
Preferable experience includes:
- Schematic design and construction drawing documents
- Developing budget and reviewing shop drawings
- Preparing graphic presentations that communicate design intent with Adobe Creative Suite and AutoCAD (or similar software)
- Organized and self-motivated
- Interest in working with young adults
- Knowledge of materials
If interested, please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 17, 2018. A kick off meeting will be held on the evening of January 24, 2018.