Open Architecture / New York is requesting applications for volunteers to help develop obstacle courses in partnership with Concrete Safaris.
Concrete Safaris is a partner organization with Open Architecture / New York that promotes social change by providing children with education and experiences to become leaders committed to their environment and health. Each year, Concrete Safaris holds the Jungle Gym Obstacle Race and Active Living Fair in East Harlem. This summer, there will be three fairs that take place on the following dates:
OACny is seeking volunteers to work with our Project Coordinator, Concrete Safaris’ Coordinator and his students to bring the students’ obstacle course ideas to life The team will help develop the flow of two obstacle courses and the construction of about 10 obstacles.
Responsibilities will include:
- Work with Project Coordinator on project development and production
- Work closely with students to come up with structural and material ideas to build obstacles (Note: the in-person meeting with students will be during afterschool hours, so it is optional for volunteers)
- Assist students in creating a physical model to study circulation and scale
- Work with team to prototype obstacles
- Develop a construction manual for volunteers to easily and efficiently construct obstacles for current and future events
- Propose project ideas for art and craft table at the fair
- Create a cost estimate and a material schedule for the purchase of materials
- Commit a minimum of ten(10) hours per month
Please send your resume to Kathy Mu at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 3 to apply!